Contract type: Permanent
Hours: 8:30am - 2:30pm (27.5 hours per week, 52 weeks per year) - There can be flexibility around times, so can be discussed at interview.
Salary: £15,791 per annum
Anticipated start date: ASAP
Closing date: 15th February 2024
Location: Buckingham, Buckinghamshire
Purpose of the Job
We are looking to recruit a Laundry Assistant, working 52 weeks and who is able to drive the van (D1 license essential).
The successful applicant will work as part of a small team of four colleagues; the duties will include driving, collecting & delivering laundry; sorting/loading laundry into the washing machines/dryers; pressing & finishing garments/bedding.
Applicants will need to be able to work the hours flexibly to cover seasonal changes in demand and peak times in this physically demanding role.
Applicants must have the ability for heavy lifting and able to stand for the whole shift.
Stowe School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers, the Disclosure and Barring Service and an online background check with our 3rd party provider SP-Index.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Process items entering the laundry through the machinery and equipment provided in an efficient, safe way, ensuring a high-quality service to the users of the service.
- Drive the departments van (D1 License Required) for collections and deliveries.
1 To drive, load and unload the Department’s van as required.
2 To sort and load laundry into washing machines and dryers.
3 To organise clean laundry in preparation for pressing.
4 To fold and press garments.
5 To cover Laundry Supervisor duties in there absence as required.
6 To follow as directed by the Laundry Supervisor, priorities of workload to ensure that deadlines are met.
7 Ensure that the laundry department is kept clean and tidy at all times.
8 To ensure that standards are met as agreed with the Laundry Supervisor and Matrons.
9 To ensure the correct handling of cleaning materials and equipment.
10 To collect and deliver laundry for twelve boarding houses as required.
11 To conform to health and safety legislation and to be aware around the School of Health and Safety infringements, reporting incidents to the Laundry Supervisor.
12 To undertake any other ad-hoc duties as required by the Laundry Supervisor.
13 To ensure adherence to statutory Health and Safety and Data Protection Legislation at all times.
This job description reflects the present requirements of the post and as duties and responsibilities change/develop, the job description will be reviewed and be subject to amendment in consultation with the post holder.
Date agreed: November 2023
The selection of candidates for short-listing will be based on this specification and candidates should bear this in mind when preparing their application and completing the application form:
- Full driving licence (D1)
- Specialist Skills & Experience
- Practical and physically fit.
- Use of laundry equipment including machines, dryers and irons.
- Ability to manage time to meet demand.
- Good communication skills.
- Able to physically carry out the tasks associated with loading/unloading commercial washing machines and dryers.
- Awareness and understanding of Health and Safety (COSHH) regulations.
- Previous laundry experience.
- Use of commercial laundry equipment.
- Willing to undertake any training required as part of the role.
- Able to work on own initiative and as part of a small team.
- Committed to providing a high quality of service.
- Awareness of the responsibilities of working in an environment with young people.
- Physically fit and able to stand all day and undertake heavy lifting
To apply now , please download the application form for this job here. We look forward to receiving your application.