Housekeeping and Accommodation Manager
Contract type: Permanent
Hours of work: Full time, 52 weeks per year
Salary: Circa £34,000 per annum
Anticipated start date: ASAP
Closing date: 7th February 2024
Interview Date: TBC
Location: Buckingham, Buckinghamshire
Due to retirement in the team we are looking to recruit in to a Housekeeping and Accommodation Manager role at Stowe School. This role is integral to the running of our busy housekeeping, laundry service and private accommodation across the School. You will be managing a large team and ensuring a high level of service is provided across a 7 day rota throughout the year during term-time and during school holidays.
This role manages our private accommodation, supporting residential lets, keeping inventory records and validating deposit return claims to HR/Finance. You will regularly check standards of service and work closely with internal departments on potential works and other maintenance issues.
About you: You will have experience of managing a large team and have been involved in recruitment, training and development of colleagues within the department. You will have knowledge of handling budgets, ordering supplies and managing stock control. You will have a strong understanding of Health and Safety compliance, reviewing and implementing risk assessments. You will Keep up to date with technical knowledge, engaging with suppliers and contractors to find solutions to reducing waste and meeting any “green” agenda.
Strong communications skills are key as you will be central to the operational hub of the School, working closely with internal and external stakeholders across The Stowe Group. You will be good at multi tasking in a fast paced environment and enjoy a busy, varied role where no two days are the same!
Stowe School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers, the Disclosure and Barring Service and an online background check with our 3rd party provider SP-Index.
Purpose of the job:
To manage a team of housekeepers (approx. 75 staff), supplying a high-quality, cost-effective cleaning and housekeeping service across the school throughout the year, for all activities and uses of the school.
To manage the turnaround of private accommodation (70 units) provided for residential staff.
To manage the in-house laundry service.
To manage external contractors supplying window cleaning, pest control, sanitary waste hygiene, and other cleaning services to the school
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- To manage a team of housekeepers, team leaders and supervisors to provide a comprehensive cleaning, housekeeping and laundry service across the site, including cleaning, tidying, bed making (external events), laundry, curtain changes and deep cleaning.
- To work with the People Team to ensure that residential accommodation is vacated and occupied by residential staff as needed.
- To monitor and manage the external contractors relating to provision of a housekeeping service, including but not limited to window cleaning, sanitary waste, pest control, matting and other cleaning activities.
- Ensure that standards of the environment are regularly checked, corrective action taken, and that general maintenance and repairs are reported to the Estates team.
- Deputise in the absence of the Head of Support Services as needed.
1. To oversee the rota of housekeepers and laundry colleagues, ensuring effective cover in case of absences. Ensure the workforce is flexible and able to adjust to changing needs in terms of service delivery over 7 days per week.
2. Recruitment, training, development and management of colleagues within the department, in line with the school’s HR policies and procedures.
3. The control of budgets in relation to pay and non-pay element of the budget including, but not limited to, staff hours, cleaning chemicals, inventory items.
4. Stock control and prompt ordering of chemicals and any goods/services needed for the provision of the service.
5. To ensure adherence to statutory Health and Safety and Data Protection Legislation at all times, keeping departmental and individual risk assessments, department health & safety training records.
6. Document cleaning schedules to ensure consistency of standards and manage expectations in terms of cleaning frequency.
7. Maintain a system of Quality Control/Assurance and report on the results, following up on the corrective action needed.
8. Administration of hours/holidays/absence, reporting to finance for payroll purposes to meet the deadlines for correct payroll processing.
9. Supply a service to Stowe Enterprise Ltd, preparing areas of the school as needed to support the letting of the premises for events.
10. Supply a check-in and out service to accommodation residents, keeping inventory records and validating deposit return claims to HR/Finance. Regularly check property to ensure tenants are keeping properties in good order whilst resident.
11. To supply excellent customer service to users of both the school and residential accommodation.
12. To keep all machinery and equipment in good working order at all times, have a robust system to taking equipment out of service when in need of service/repair. Maintain an asset register of equipment and machinery in the department.
13. Supervision of workforce and manage a system of checking standards, ensuring that any shortfalls in cleaning or building defects are dealt with promptly or reported to the correct department for action.
14. Ensure the security of building and the access to keys is controlled and maintained at all times.
15. Work closely with the laundry supervisor to ensure the continuity of service both in and out of term times is maintained and meets the demand.
16. Assist the Head of Support Services Manager with other duties and deputise as needed in support of the business needs.
17. Keep up to date with technical knowledge and innovation in the industry, engaging with suppliers and contractors to find solutions to reducing waste and meeting any “green” agenda.
18. Identify and agree personal development plans for self and team members.
19. Support colleagues in a similar role across the Stowe Group of schools.
20. To undertake the safeguarding induction, in relation to the KCSIE document guidelines, with all new employees within the first week of employment.
This job description reflects the present requirements of the post and as duties and responsibilities change/develop, the job description will be reviewed and be subject to amendment in consultation with the post holder.
Date agreed: October 2023
The selection of candidates for short-listing will be based on this specification and candidates should bear this in mind when preparing their application and completing the application form:
- BTEC Diploma in supervision/facilities management or equivalent work experience
Specialist Skills & Experience
- Experience of managing a large team of cleaning staff
- Working knowledge of monitoring and managing cleaning/housekeeping standards
- A good knowledge of Health and Safety legislation applicable to the role
- Experience in training, motivating and developing a team.
- Medium/high level of IT skills
- Experience of recruitment and retention of staff
- Experience of working with a residential School/care/hotel environment
- Enthusiastic and the ability to motivate others.
- Clean driving licence, able to travel off-site to properties and other schools using own or school vehicles (must have business use insurance)
- Positive attitude towards working flexible hours for self and team.
- Firm approach to compliance with legislation
- Flexible in dealing with welfare of people.
- Excellent all-round organisational skills.
- Please note this role is physical and involves some heavy lifting, site walking and standing for a large proportion of the day.
To apply now , please download the application form for this job here. We look forward to receiving your application.