Graduate Sports Coach - Lacrosse
Contract type: Fixed Term 2 year contract
Hours of work: Full Time
Salary: £14,500 per annum
Anticipated start date: January 2024
Closing date: 29th November 2023
Location: Buckingham, Buckinghamshire
Purpose of the Job
For January 2024 Stowe School is looking to appoint a graduate sports coach with a specialism in lacrosse. We are looking for enthusiastic team players with a love of sport who are equally committed to participation as well as performance, and have the ability to engage and motivate students creating an environment where students and staff enjoy taking part in sport and develop positive life-long habits and attitudes.
Stowe runs two terms of lacrosse across the Autumn and Spring Terms, and ability to coach a tennis in the summer term would be advantageous.
To read the full candidate pack please click here
Stowe School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- To promote the aims of the School at all times with colleagues, parents, pupils and the public.
- To play a full part in a seven day a week boarding School with commitment to teaching, pastoral care, extra-curricular activities and School duties.
- To assist in the recruitment of pupils and to promote the School and Department.
- To provide professional high-quality teaching/coaching, with the effective use of appropriate resources and the highest standards of learning and achievement of all pupils.
- To attend all appropriate Health & Safety (COSHH) and Child Protection training issues related to the pupils, School and Department
- To enable pupils to acquire knowledge and make progress according to their ability so that they increase their understanding and develop their skills in the sport taught
- To foster in pupils the application of physical or creative effort, interest in their work, and the ability to think and learn for themselves
- To create well-planned coaching sessions and deliver through effective and appropriate teaching/coaching methods, activities and management of activity time
- To show a good understanding of the aptitudes, needs and prior attainments of the pupils and ensure these are taken into account in activity-planning.
- To utilise effective strategies for managing behaviour and encouraging pupils to act responsibly.
- To organise coaching sessions to suit age and ability of pupils
- When required to assess, record and report on pupils’ development, progress and attainment/achievement.
- To contribute to the development of the sports programme.
- To deliver 1 to 1 sessions for Stoics wishing to take their game to the next level.
- To deliver addtitional fitness sessions before, during or after the school day.
Management & Administration
- To ensure the registration of pupils for practices during afternoon activities.
- To co-ordinate match results and match reports in a format suitable for School assembly and website.
- To write/co-ordinate reports for the Stoic and End of Term assembly.
- To be familiar with the risk assessments of sports/activities undertaken.
- To attend INSET for continued professional development.
- To ensure sports equipment/facility is safe prior to starting activity
- To generate trip lists and their distribution prior to leaving the School site for a fixture.
- To assist with the Outreach programme with Prep and local schools and identify potential candidates for sports scholarship application.
- To assist the Director of Sport in the delivery of the Sports Scholarship programme as required.
- To put pupils of appropriate ability forward for representative honours.
- To assist with pre-season training and sports tours.
- To assist with Sports / Activities administration as required.
- To manage video analysis process for your sport and assist where appropriate with others
- To assist with the evening and weekend activities programme
- To be committed to continuing career and professional development.
- To ensure compliance with the current teaching staff handbook.
- To undertake any additional duties within reason as defined by the Director of Sport.
Social and moral welfare of pupils
- To take responsibility for the educational, social and moral welfare of pupils in the context of Stowe's boarding community.
Assessments and reports
- To provide or contribute to oral and written assessments, reports and references relating to individual pupils and groups of pupils.
Review and Professional Development
- To keep abreast of developments in his/her sport(s) and its coaching methods in order to maintain a high level of professional competence Staff should also participate in arrangements within the agreed framework for review and professional development, including INSET.
Discipline, Health and Safety
- To maintain good order and discipline among pupils and safeguarding their health and safety both on the School premises and when they are engaged in School and other activities elsewhere, within the framework of the Health and Safety Policy documents.
- To adhere to and manage all appropriate Health & Safety legislation, risk assessments and Child Protection training issues related to the Department.
- To supervise and, where possible, teach pupils whose teacher is not available.
- To participate in all meetings which relate to the school curriculum, school organisation and school administration and to attend Chapel, assemblies and other school events as required by the Headmaster.
- To undertake the supervision of pupils at meal times, in detention, on school journeys and on school premises as required by the duty rota.
This job description reflects the present requirements of the post and as duties and responsibilities change/develop, the job description will be reviewed and be subject to amendment in consultation with the post holder.
Date agreed: June 2023
Specialist Skills & Experience
- Representative honours at International level
- Previous experience of coaching
- Experience of Independent and/or State boarding environment
- Good ICT skills
- Driving licence
- The ability to play and coach at least 3 sports to a high level Basics of financial management (departmental budgets)
- Enthusiastic and energetic
- Good team player
- Patience and a sense of humour ·
- Good organisational skills
- Good professional manner and appearance
- Excellent practitioner able to inspire pupils in the love of (your) sport
- Ability to communicate effectively with pupils, staff and parents
- Willingness to contribute fully to the life of a busy boarding school
To apply now , please download the application form for this job here. We look forward to receiving your application.