Estates Building Manager
Contract type: Fixed Term 12 month contract
Hours of work: Full Time
Salary: Up to £50,000 per annum dependent on experience
Anticipated start date: ASAP
Closing date: 29th November 2023
Location: Buckingham, Buckinghamshire
Purpose of the Job
We are looking for a friendly, outgoing, and professional individual to join our busy Estates Management team at Stowe School. This role is pivotal in assisting the Group Head of Estates and the Building Management team to ensure that the upkeep and statutory compliance of all buildings and infrastructure in and around the school and any other properties that the school may have at their disposal, are fully maintained.
You will work closely with internal stakeholders across all three Schools as well as external third parties, working on multiple projects ensuring they are delivered on time and to budget. You will have a good knowledge of Health and Safety requirements, Statutory compliance and building condition surveys. You will assist the Group Head of Estates with the management of the staff accommodation portfolio.
This role requires someone who has good personal approach and a proactive response to meet the Schools needs. A flexible approach to work is needed as is the ability to travel between sites. You will need to work well as part of a multi skilled team and enjoy a busy and varied role.
Stowe School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
- To assist the Group Head of Estates and the Building Management team to ensure that the upkeep and statutory compliance of all buildings and infrastructure in and around the school and any other properties that the school may have at their disposal, are fully maintained.
- To support the Group Head of Estates in the interaction with stakeholders and interested third parties.
- To assist the Group Head of Estates with the management of the staff accommodation portfolio.
- To assist the Group Head of Estates with the management of the asbestos register and asbestos management processes.
- To assist the Group Head of Estates with building condition surveys and the development of planned preventative maintenance schedules.
- To oversee and manage the Buildings Maintenance team to ensure that all deliverables are met.
- To manage small and medium development projects to engage all stakeholders and deliver projects on time and to budget.
- To assist the Group Project Manager with major development projects.
- To work with the Group Engineer, Group Heath and Safety Manager and any other relevant teams to ensure that projects deliverables are met and that the buildings are kept fully maintained and statutorily compliant.
- To deliver a first class and responsive service to the school wherever possible.
- The needs of the school will require a flexible approach to work delivery, and a positive response to needs as they arise.
- The role will include project and team management and supervision, contract administration and building surveys and inspections.
- The role may also include driving the school maintenance vans as and when required.
- Indirect and direct interaction with the school community is likely and thus a good personal approach and proactive nature are important.
- To report to and support the Group Head of Estates to ensure that the Stowe Estate is maintained to very high standard, and to provide high quality services to all members of the Stowe Group Community.
- To support the Buildings Maintenance Supervisor and manage the Buildings Maintenance Team, to ensure that the Stowe Estate is kept fully maintained to a high level of presentation and statutory compliance, and that all works are cost effective and undertaken within agreed programmes.
- To note the repairs identified on the works portal, and in conjunction with the Buildings Maintenance Team ensure that works are prioritised and completed in a timely manner.
- Ensure that risk assessments are kept up to date and relevant, and that the risk assessment process is fully adhered to.
- In conjunction with The Group Head of Estates and Group Health and Safety Manager review and develop enhanced asbestos management processes and procedures and ensure that the Buildings Maintenance Team are fully compliant with these processes.
- To support the Group Head of Estates in undertaking Building Condition Surveys of the Stowe Estate and jointly develop Planned Preventative Maintenance Schedules
- Assist the Group Head of Estates with the preparation and submission of written and financial reports to the Governing Body and the Executive Leadership Team.
- Assist the Group Head of Estates with the management of the Stowe Residential Accommodation Portfolio, including carrying our tenancy inspections, arranging repairs, and working with group stakeholders to ensure that landlord responsibilities are met.
- To attend weekly Heads of Department Meetings and Operational Meetings as arising, provide reports for the same as required, and deputise for the Group Head of Estates when requested.
- For small and medium size building projects prepare feasibility studies and project plans, prepare funding requests, and prepare scope of works and tender documents. Request quotations and prepare tender analysis reports. Appoint external contractors and / or develop an in house project team. Contract administer the works ensuring statutory compliance, build quality, programme and budget adherence.
- For major development projects at peak project times, provide assistance and support to the Group Project Manager in the project delivery, such tasks may include site quality inspections, liaison with stakeholders and the local authority, budget management assistance.
- Work with external stakeholders in the preparation and achievement of Listed Building Consent applications.
- Oversee the fire door audit programme and ensure that records are fully maintained.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders in a professional and collaborative manner at all times.
- To carry out all work in a professional manner, and fully in accordance with the appropriate standards and legislation.
- To follow all health and safety instructions for work activities and for using vehicles, plant and equipment if required, report any health and safety concerns or faults immediately to the designated manager.
- Ensure that building statutory compliance and best practice is always fully maintained.
- Undertake appraisals, set and review objectives for the Building Maintenance Team.
- Oversee the training matrix for the Building Maintenance Team, review all training needs and ensure that training requirements are maintained.
- Assist the Buildings Maintenance Supervisor in ensuring that the legal provisions relating to Health and Safety at work are properly adhered to, including the safe storage of any flammable/toxic substances on site (excluding workshops/laboratories)
- Carry out school based procedures in the event of fire, flood, breaking and entering, accident or major damage
- Liaise with maintenance and product suppliers as requested.
- To be aware of, and comply with, the policies and procedures relating to safeguarding, health and safety and security.
- Undertake any other work as reasonably requested by the Head, or the Group Head of Estates.
- Stowe Group is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment. The post holder’s responsibility for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young persons for whom he/she comes into contact will be to adhere to and always ensure compliance with the Stowe Group’s Child Protection Policy Statement.
- If while carrying out the duties of the post, the post-holder becomes aware of any actual or potential risks to the safety or welfare of children in the school, he/she must report any concerns to the Head or the Designated Safeguarding Lead.
This job description reflects the present requirements of the post and as duties and responsibilities change/develop, the job description will be reviewed and be subject to amendment in consultation with the post holder.
Date agreed: November 2023
The selection of candidates for short-listing will be based on this specification and candidates should bear this in mind when preparing their application and completing the application form:
- Educated to degree level or similar in a relevant discipline.
- Qualified to work in the UK.
- A full, clean driving licence
- RICS qualified.
- Health & Safety
- Asbestos Awareness
- Fire Safety
- Legionella awareness
- Specialist Skills & Experience
- Good building technical knowledge
- Previous experience in estate / building management
- Previous experience of leading a team
- Ability to diagnosis building defects, specify repairs and project manage construction works.
- Proven track record of budget management
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and to multi-task.
- Ability to communicate effectively with stakeholders.
- Knowledgeable of Health and Safety regulations pertinent to the areas of responsibility
- Proven ability to work to high standards.
- Good written and reporting skills
- Previous experience working in a similar position in a school or similar.
- Previous experience supporting a school or similar in delivering building maintenance
- Good organisational skills with the ability to prioritise, plan, and organise your own workloads effectively to achieve objectives.
- Be able to work without supervision but also know your own limitations.
- Hard working, punctual and reliable
- Diplomatic and tactful
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Physically fit to meet the demands of the Estate size.
To apply now , please download the application form for this job here. We look forward to receiving your application.