Contract type: Permanent
Hours of work: 37.5 hours a week, 34 weeks per year - (term time plus 4 weeks)
Salary: Up to £25,000 per annum
Anticipated start date: ASAP
Closing date: 16th January 2024
Location: Buckingham, Buckinghamshire
We are delighted to advertise a new opportunity for a full-time Design Technician to join our outstanding and successful Design, Technology and Engineering department at Stowe School. We have exciting times ahead with the current build of a state of the art, DT&E facility and we are seeking a positive, well organised and assertive Technician to support our department and join our journey.
The post holder would require a high level of technical skill and expertise and must be committed to supporting the academic staff in the continuous improvement of departmental standards. Knowledge and experience of various computer aided manufacturing systems is desirable, and the ability to set up traditional workshop equipment is essential.
Stowe School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Purpose of the job
Working alongside the Senior Technician, The Design Technician will provide technical support to teaching staff and students in our 3 well equip workshops. This is a practical role and would suit someone with a love of design and making.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- To support the efficient day to day running of the Design Department.
- To support colleagues in their teaching and preparation of lessons.
1 To keep the workshops in a safe, clean and organised state.
2 To carry out weekly maintenance checks of workshop equipment, machine and hand tools.
3 To assist with machine maintenance as required, such as changing blades, sanding belts, and replacing broken parts.
4 To set up as necessary equipment and resources required by teachers for class demonstration or student use.
5 To work alongside teachers and pupils during designing and making activities to aid student progress as and when required.
6 To prepare materials for students from cutting lists using workshop machinery – (Training will be provided)
7 To manufacture pieces of equipment, jigs and fixtures as required by staff for class demonstration or student use.
8 Assist with orders and deliveries.
9 To carry out such other duties as reasonably fall within the purview of this post as designated by the Senior Technician and Head of Department.
10 To maintain and set up CNC and CAM equipment – (Training will be given)
11 To assist with - under the direction of the senior technician - additional extra curriculum activities for pupils on a termly basis.
Health and Safety:
1. To ensure adherence to statutory Health and Safety and Data Protection Legislation at all times.
2. To read and action any literature provided to ensure awareness of hazards that may be encountered.
3. To post out to staff any noticed hazard with particular equipment and areas
4. To help ensure that pupils, students, visitors and support staff are not exposed to hazards.
5. To provide suitable warnings on any potential hazard especially where this is not immediately obvious.
6. To support the improvement of risk assessments and COSHH assessments within the department.
This job description reflects the present requirements of the post and as duties and responsibilities change/develop, the job description will be reviewed and be subject to amendment in consultation with the post holder.
- Post 16 Qualifications
- Experience working in a design / engineering related field or relevant work experience in design/ engineering/ making.
Specialist Skills & Experience
- Experience of using engineering machinery
- A good understanding of the use of ICT in the workplace.
- Willingness and desire to learn new technologies and machinery. Such as 3d printers and CAD and CAM
- An ability to patiently instruct students on the correct use of equipment.
- Have worked in an educational environment previously.
- Up to date knowledge of CAD and CAM equipment and its application within an educational environment.
- Ability to work in a team.
- The ability to self-motivate and work independently when required.
- Able to physically carry out tasks associated with the workshop, including manual handling of sheet materials, stock metal etc. Bending and lifting items on a daily basis.
- Hard working and flexible approach to contracted hours which will include some Saturdays mornings.
- An interest in practical work and design/engineering.
- An understanding of the current remit of Design and Technology teaching
To apply now , please download the application form for this job here. We look forward to receiving your application.